27.7.15

One Year of Blogging Later... Why I Blog!

You know those awkward summer run-ins you have with your old classmates from high school? The ones that take place on the train, at Whole Foods, or while you're waiting in line for your iced latte? Once you make eye contact, these interactions usually begin with a trite "How's college going?" (let's be real- you don't exactly remember where they go to school).

Okay now imagine that situation with the added line of "I read your blog!"

All of a sudden it hits you- they seemingly know every detail of your entire life. From how you feel about one-piece swimsuits to what you did with your family on vacation three months ago- no post is left unread.


To be honest, these real-life interactions regarding my online presence have often left me feeling a bit embarrassed- like I'm this weirdo who publicly writes about her lame life on a weekly basis. I have days where I feel like I'm so unremarkable that I wonder why anyone would bother reading what I write anyway. Every Monday comes with the earth-shattering fear that no-one will read my post or, worse yet, not a single person will like it on Facebook.

I've been blogging for nearly a year now, and I've only just recently come to realize that having kept up my blog for a whole year is a huge accomplishment. There are so many people out there who blog for a few weeks or months and then throw in the towel because they're not getting the pageviews or exposure that they expected. To go into blogging with expectations of popularity is only natural, but it's not a reason to be a blogger.

I often find my friends, family, and classmates asking me why I blog- isn't writing a special kind of torture reserved for classrooms and exam halls? In fact, I spend many a Monday evening asking myself that same question. The truth is, the reasons why I blog now aren't exactly the same as why I started my blog in the first place.

When I started my blog last July, I thought it would be a useful tool in documenting my life as I transitioned from a high school student in America to a University student Scotland. Big changes were afoot and I thought if I was ever going to blog (it was a longtime dream of mine), now would be a good time.    


But as I've penned countless anecdotes, edited numerous photos, and thought of some snappy (and some not-so-snappy) titles over the past many months, I've become aware of some other reasons as to why I do this little thing called blogging.

I blog because it helps me to sort out and process how I feel about real-life events. For instance, I knew that celebrating Thanksgiving away from home was going to be a difficult experience for me, especially having not been home since I had moved to Edinburgh. But writing a blog post about how I felt about Thanksgiving itself and how I was celebrating the holiday at a swanky hotel helped me deal with the emotions and homesickness that came along with it.

I blog because it allows me to have a platform to express my many opinions. When I first started writing my blog, I certainly wasn't aiming to voice my thoughts on matters such as the selectiveness of social media and the pressure to major in certain fields of study. However, when I did decide to put myself out there, I always received an overwhelmingly positive response! My "Opinions" pieces on my blog are by far my most popular. I mean, I was the managing editor of the Opinions section at my high school's online publication. I guess some things just never change.

I blog because it leads to meaningful conversations with people who I never would have interacted with otherwise. During my first few months of blogging in particular, I would often receive messages from people who I would consider "random" (Facebook friends who I don't normally speak with) telling me how much they enjoyed reading my blog. And then there are those in-person conversations with classmates who say that my post about birthdays, for example, really hit home for them. While they may seem awkward at first, those are truly the moments that keep me writing.


After a year of essentially talking about myself week after week, I feel more assured than ever that starting a blog was the right decision for me. Better yet, it's been a life-changing decision. Not only have my writing skills improved astronomically, but I've become better able to think introspectively and also present myself with more confidence as a result of my blogging.

And what would my blog be without my readers? The close friends, "Facebook" friends, family members and even complete strangers that have been following me along for the past year. No matter if it's every week, once a month, or a just a single time that you tuned in- I am incredibly grateful for all of the support I've received so far.

So I've reached a milestone- now what? Well, I don't know about you, but I'm just gonna keep doing what I've been doing every Monday here at Little Girl, Bigger World. And the next time you see me on the T or in line for Starbucks? Ask me about my blog, if you read it! I promise I won't act too embarrassed ;)    



2 comments:

  1. Congrats on one year of blogging... it's a fun hobby, isn't it!?


    Amber
    All the Cute
    Recent Post: Lately…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And haha yes it really is! I love blogging :) x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS