24.4.17

Edinburgh's Best Breakfast & Brunch Spots

For me, breakfast didn’t start being the “most important meal of the day” until I started waking up later. 7AM wake ups in high school did not a happy morning person make. So I usually skipped out on having a proper breakfast, usually opting to have a granola bar on the go.

But coming into University, where my schedule is more relaxed and my morning meal more often than not extends into the early afternoon, made me appreciate how good breakfast can really be. And weekend brunches? Even better! With more options and the most creative combinations of sweet and savory, brunch just about edges out any other meal.

Edinburgh might just be giving London a run for its money when it comes to breakfast and brunch spots. Being the most ‘gram-able meal of the day, I can see why the competition is so fierce. So today I’m here to tell you about the best of the best (and I really mean the best) places to go to start your day- whether that’s at 9AM or 1PM.


The Huxley // A new favorite of mine, I was invited down to The Huxley to try out their breakfast menu this past weekend (I'll have a full review up with the newspaper later this week!) Jet-lagged and exhausted, a hearty cooked breakfast cooked by someone else was exactly what I needed. With dishes ranging from the simplest of oats to the more refined favorite of Eggs Benedict, The Huxley has you covered for all your morning cravings. I'm not one to usually order avocado toast when I'm out to eat (my mantra is "If I can make it at home, I'm not ordering it"), but the addition of perfectly poached eggs and savory smoked salmon made the smashed avocado toast absolutely irresistible. And with a mammoth portion of both salmon and avocado, I struggled to finish it! Ben's Full Scottish Breakfast was a feast of meat and more meat, so to offset the indulgence, we ordered a side of fruit. Talk about picture perfect!


Treehouse Cafe // Unassuming from the outside, out-of-this-world delicious on the inside, I will stand by the statement that the Treehouse Cafe makes the best pancakes in all of Edinburgh. As an American, I’m an authority. Thick, fluffy, and piled high with toppings, these bad boys are a far cry from the crepes you Brits try to pass of as pancakes on “Pancake Day.” Keep things marginally healthy by having the stack topped with berries, yogurt, cinnamon, and honey, or go all-out by getting the option with a scoop of ice cream (yes, I said ice cream). The Treehouse Cafe also serves rolls, sandwiches, and baked goods- but really, the pancakes here are the star.


Montpelier’s // I guess you could consider me a regular at this Bruntsfield establishment. Maybe it’s because this is where Ben and I went on our first proper date, or maybe it’s because the food is just so worthy of coming back for, but Monty-P’s is really my home away from home. Get stuck into their breakfast and brunch menu which offers up a hefty portion of French toast, eggs in endless ways, and the notorious “Full Monty.” You guessed it, the “Full Monty” is this restaurant’s take on the full Scottish breakfast complete with the usual trimmings such as bacon, sausage, black pudding, haggis and a potato scone. Upgrade yourself from the “regular” to the “full” for just a few pounds and you’ll be set for the day with the addition of steak and chicken.



Papii // I haven't been back to this little gem near George Street since the end of my first year, but I'm writing about it now because it was just that good. Serving the most delectable waffles in the city (and how many places in Edinburgh really serve waffles?) Papii is a cozy cafe that does the trick for your morning breakfast fix. Speciality coffees, sandwiches, and eggs are also prominent on this small but mighty menu, so there's something for everyone here. And don't forget to have a fresh fruit smoothie alongside your waffles- life is about balance, after all!

Salt Cafe // What Salt Cafe lacks in menu choices it makes up for in quality. While many brunch places try to serve you everything but the kitchen sink, this cafe focuses on what it really does well- and that's top-notch coffee and simple (but scrumptious) egg dishes. With just the right amount of edginess (think a handwritten specials sign written on brown paper), this is the perfect alternative to your "usual" brunch spot. And the baristas here really are experts, so you'll never be faced with a disappointing brew. Brunch is served here 7 days a week, so you have an excuse to make your weekdays extra special.

Brunching (and breakfasting) is seriously a way of life. So why not try as many places as possible? I'm sure you'll know where to find me on a Sunday...
 

8 comments:

  1. Omg Papii looks amazing can we go PLEASE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks delicious but these waffles are mouth-watering!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? I feel like it's really hard to find waffles on the menu in Edinburgh!

      Delete
  3. I am a brunch addict!! It is definitely my fave meal of the day. So good to know Edinburgh has so many good options, I've saved this for the next time I'm heading up to the North!!

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely my fave too ;) Edinburgh's just bursting with good brunch spots! Hope this list helps xo

      Delete
  4. Wow, the Salt Cafe's food looks so delicious! I'm so incredibly crazy jealous that you were able to go to all these breakfast spots! I guess I need to hop on the next plane and visit all these places as well.

    Joanne | https://fung-shui.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salt Cafe is one of my faves! Glad you enjoyed reading my post :)

      xo Leda

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS