18.10.17

3 Little Decorations in My Room That Make Me Smile

I'm just about finished putting the final touches on my bedroom for this year. I know, I know- it's October. I should've already done this by now. But life, okay? Between traveling a lot and being busy with my course, putting up pictures and fairy lights has been the last thing on my mind. 

Despite my delays, I'm a firm believer that little decorations can make all the difference in making a space "homier." I'm lucky though, because a.) I've had the same bedroom at university for going on 3 years now and b.) My flat in Edinburgh already has quite a lot of charming character. But in any case, a room without personal touches isn't really a home. 

So today I wanted to share with you three little, low-key decorations in my room that bring personality to the space. 

My Teacup "Collection"

I say "collection" with a bit of hesitance. It's only three teacups. But, I'm hoping one day it will become a bigger collection. I wish I was more proactive in actually buying unique teacups, but I'm lucky enough that my mom has gifted me with these three special cups and saucers. 

The first one I received was the purple thistle teacup- obviously as an homage to living in Scotland ("Oh flower of Scotland, when will we see your like again?"). The second was the pink floral set, which doesn't have a ton of meaning, but it's just really beautiful. The most recent addition is the teal floral teacup. You might recognize this one from photos of the afternoon tea I enjoyed at the Fairmont. Don't worry- I didn't nick this teacup from the hotel! It was actually purchased from the gift shop. It's probably my favorite one at this point, not only because it's gorgeous, but because of the memories! Now I just need to have a reason to use all three cups at once... (how insta-worthy would that be?) 


My Photo Board 

I know this is kind of a basic thing. Everyone and their mother has a photo board in their room. But it just makes me feel like I'm always surrounded by friends and family (especially the ones who are so far away). Each year I've printed out more photos for my board, which means that I have to keep excluding certain snapshots each year. But I try my best to have photos that are new and old up on the board. Whenever anyone comes into my room, they'll either point themselves out or comment on my baby photos. I love to have a visual representation of my memories in my room (especially the funny, not-so-perfect ones). 


My Wine Cork Collection 

It's quite common practice for college students to collect alcohol bottles in their kitchen or living room. Whether out of pure laziness or aesthetic value, I'm not sure (though my money's on the laziness thing- at least that's the case in our flat). But hear me out- there's a classier, much cuter way of preserving memories from boozy nights. Wine corks. Ok, so this doesn't exactly work if you're a beer or hard-liquor drinker. If you're as avid a wine drinker as I am, this is the perfect way to liven up your room and note down precious memories. 


I've been collecting wine corks since Ben and I started dating over two years ago- but not every wine cork is related to our relationship, if that makes sense. Some corks are just from unassuming nights where I just happened to have some wine, others are from important milestones- and those are the ones that get a little added note in Sharpie. For big events, I'll write down what the wine (or champagne) was for- Birthdays, holidays, anniversaries. I do have a few random ones thrown in their for good measure though (ie. "Monopoly Night", and "Chinese Food and Trip to the Wine Shop"). Not only is it a cute way to visually express your drinking habits (just kidding), but it also encourages you to buy nicer, corked wines instead of screw tops. 


I might not be the best at DIYs or interior design, and my room definitely isn't Pinterest-worthy, but I like to think that my bedroom tells a story. And to me, that's what makes a home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS