22.11.17

Recent Reads

I feel like I've said this a million times, but I'm not a big reader. I know that might make me sound terribly unintelligent or unintellectual- but hear me out. After long days of constantly being surrounded by words from journal articles, social theory books, and my own writing, it's hard to gain the motivation to read.

But now that I've found some books that I'm really enthusiastic about, I can't wait to read a few pages before bed every night! Even if it's just a short chapter or five pages, I'm happy with any progress I make. I've also probably already said this before, but I usually don't go for fiction books. Maybe it's because I study Sociology, but I really enjoy reading books about social issues more than anything. On this very short list of just two books, though, I have one fiction book and one non-fiction book for you! I'm also new to this whole reading two books at once thing, but I'm kind of loving it.




Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie


This book is endlessly captivating, to say the very least. My best friend read this before I did, and then I think she recommended to the book club both of our moms are in. After my mom read it and loved it, she passed it on to me. I just love it when books take on a life of their own, being passed around from person to person.

Americanah is about a young and in love Nigerian couple who go off on their own respective adventures away from military-ruled Nigeria. Headstrong and creative, Ifemelu heads for America, where she starts her own blog on race in America. Obinze, however, heads to England, struggling to live as an undocumented immigrant. Their stories diverge and eventually become intertwined again. Each chapter is purposefully crafted to develop each character in great detail.

I feel that I can relate to some of the stories being someone who left home for a new place (though under very different circumstances). I can particularly empathize with both character's feelings of being lost, and the confusion that accompanies coming to a new land with many quirks. Whether or not you're an ex-pat though, I'd recommend this book simply on the basis that it's politically pertinent and can teach anyone a thing or two about race in America (with great humor, I might add).


Megatech: Technology in 2050 edited by Daniel Franklin


This book is really a series of essays and studies that examine the implications and consequences of technology in the modern day and the future. Accumulating the knowledge of scientists, tech industry leaders, social scientists, and science fiction writers, this book is ideal for anyone who wants a user-friendly way of learning about the past, present, and future of technology.

I'm currently taking a class called The Internet and Society so this book couldn't have come at a better time. I also say that because I didn't choose or pay for this book- it was a gift with purchase from The Economist when I made a 12-week subscription. Still, this book is incredibly interesting without being pedantic and touches on a lot of "real life" examples that I think anyone can relate to. I'm particularly into the discussions of augmented reality- I can see how it might be useful for consumers in theory, but in practice? I'm not so sure. I guess only time will tell.

What am I reading next? 


While I haven't officially decided what my next move is yet, I've got my eye out on the copy of Modern Love by Aziz Ansari that I purchased over the summer. I mean, it's a book that combines personal, humorous anecdotes by Aziz Ansari with the social commentary of a Sociologist.

Could there be a more "Leda" book than that?   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS