29.2.16

My Favorite Photo of 2015

It's safe to say that I took a lot of photos in 2015. And I think that has a lot to do with the fact that I bounce between living in two of the most insanely beautiful and photogenic cities in the world- Edinburgh and Boston (I'm not biased at all, guys!).

The photos that I'm most proud of almost always end up on Instagram where they can be properly appreciated. But it's not too often that these photos make it into print. Since personal photography all went online, the feeling of actually owning printed out photos has disappeared. I remember when my mom used to print out all of the photos of us growing up and put them into albums with little captions with the date and location- but those days seem to be long gone.

That's why I'm so excited to be partnering with Social Print Studio this week, an app and website which takes your digital photos that you share on Instagram and sends them to be printed in a snap! They even go beyond your average photo paper to create metal prints (obsessed!), magnets and more to gift to your loved ones (or yourself!).

I was challenged to pick out my favorite photo of 2015 and share the story behind it (I say challenge because it's difficult to pick just one!). I think it's far too often that we post photos on social media with short and sweet captions and don't ever share the experience that the photo captured.


This photo was taken somewhere near and dear to my heart- the Boston Public Gardens. Situated right in the center of the city, the Public Gardens are a sanctuary amidst the bustling city. 

I took this photo in June while I was touring one of my friends from Edinburgh around Boston for the day. We had just taken a ride around the lake on one of the swan boats- a bit of a touristy attraction, but when in Rome, right? The swan boats always bring back memories of my childhood, and of my mom reciting the William Butler Yates poem Leda and the Swan, part of the inspiration for my namesake.  

I snapped this photo without much planning, in fact. And I think that's what made it so perfect in the end. Sometimes the best photos just happen to be the ones you take on a whim. What I love about this photo is how the tree branches frame the upper corners ever so slightly, how the grey-white backdrop makes the silver-blue Hancock skyscraper stand out that much more, and how the beauty of the buildings is reflected in the pool. Most of all, I love how the swan boat takes center stage despite how much it's dwarfed by the surrounding trees and city skyline. 

To me, this photo shows Boston at its best and most authentic. It's with pictures like these that I'm reminded how incredibly stunning Boston is, and how much I miss it! 

I hope you all enjoyed the story behind my favorite photo of 2015! Now all that's left to do is have it printed with Social Print Studio. Make sure to check out there website and app- you won't be disappointed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS