7.11.17

Remember, Remember... A Memorable Bonfire Weekend

I haven't celebrated Bonfire Night since my first year at University. It was super exciting since I had only been living in the UK for a few months at that point, and I had never heard of Bonfire Night before. I went up Calton Hill with my friends, lit some sparklers, and watched the diffusion of sparkling fireworks across the city.

Since then, I've let the weekend pass without notice. Which is sad, because Bonfire Night is such a fun holiday. I won't get into the history of Bonfire Night, but it's basically an excuse for people to come together to drink cider in the crisp autumn air and watch fireworks light up the sky.


But this year, I fully celebrated Bonfire Night with a fun 'n' fancy event in Central London, and a trip to Blackheath to watch some fireworks.


My "Bonfire Weekend" started with a panicked attempt at getting ready in 40 minutes, after a train ride back from Cambridge. Luckily, slipping into a gown and throwing on some heels is fairly easy, but battling my hair was the tough part, of course.


We took the always glamorous tube to Mayfair, where we eventually found the University Women's Club- the party venue for the night. The usual Prosecco, dinner, and after-party ensued. But the highlight of the night was definitely the sparklers! While we were careful not to light them directly inside, the tiny balcony filled with people, so we had to improvise a bit. What's a bonfire night without sparklers, after all?


Some members of our group tried to overpower the preset playlist, and we attempted to start the party with some dancing. After all of the wine had been drunk, and all the fun had been had, we hopped on the tube back to our respective homes with just some photos as memories.


Part two of Bonfire Night weekend for me was a bit more low-key. Fireworks are always a classic, and I had heard good things about the free fireworks show in Blackheath. Just a short walk away from Ben's flat, we journeyed over to the top of the hill, bundled up in sweaters and jackets, and hunkered down for the fireworks show.


There were tons of food stalls and rides, but we left that for the kids and went straight to find a spot to watch the show. It was 15 minutes of spectacular fireworks fun- certainly short and sweet. What wasn't short and sweet, though, was the walk back. Hordes of people crammed into the street to catch the tube or walk back. It actually took us an hour for what would be a 25-minute walk. So if you ever head to Blackheath for the fireworks, make sure you're well prepared for a long walk home.

So that was my Bonfire Night weekend! Fancy, casual, and fun all at the same time. I'm thinking I should celebrate Bonfire Night more often ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS