18.1.16

Falling Down, Getting Up, and Skiing On

You know those adventurous girls you see in the movies that always catch the cute guy's eye? The surfer-girls with unreal tans and beachy waves, or the snowboarders who don't mind getting a little bit bruised. 

Well, I've never really been one of those girls. Shocker, isn't it? 

I'd have to admit that I haven't done anything physically adventurous in years. I think it's that once you pass a certain point in your life when it's socially acceptable to learn particular skills, it becomes hard to put yourself out there to try something new. Because of that fear of failure (and subsequent embarrassment), it's safe to say that I was absolutely terrified to go skiing. 


On the picturesque drive up to Stratton Mountain in Vermont, I was thinking about everything that could go wrong. From falling off the ski lift, to tumbling down the hill, to not having the strength to ski on the flat bits. 

And you know what? All of those exact things happened. But you know what else? I was totally fine. And I came out of it a better skier (let's just note that I had set the bar pretty low from the start- but hey, it was an improvement!). 



When we were picking up our skis, I remember the clerk asking me if I had ever gone skiing before. I said yes, but that it was a long time ago, followed by apologetically stating that I wasn't very good. As he fitted me in some very swanky skis, I suggested that I just might be better off in a sled. I wasn't getting out of it so easily but at least I tried. 


What helped was that my boyfriend had a decent amount of experience on the slopes and could guide me through the trials and tribulations that all novice skiers face. As in, he shouted "Pizza!" at me when I was going too fast, and let me run him over when I had lost all control. By the end of the day, however, "pizza" was no longer a part of my vocabulary and I was parallel skiing at least half the time. I'm not sure if it's impressive that I was going really fast, or that I had still yet to master my command of the slopes. 


But perhaps what helped even more was the incredibly friendly staff at Stratton who pushed me up the very small incline to the ski lifts when I couldn't find the strength to pull myself up on my poles. They even remembered me every time I came back to the lifts, congratulating me on the one blue-level slope I managed to survive. 


Of course, my favorite part of the day had to be lunch- and let me tell you, Stratton's brand-new food court is worth checking out. It offers everything you could ever want after a day of being cold and tired- from hot entrees, to gourmet sandwiches, to some wicked good clam chowder among many other hearty soups. The food here is definitely not to be missed.   


I think what I realized I liked most about skiing was the atmosphere of it all. Stratton, in particular, is a really inviting environment that makes newcomers feel as at ease about taking to the slopes as the regulars do. You don't have to be the best skier in the world to enjoy Stratton- and you can definitely go at your own pace. 

Despite all my fears about skiing as an adult novice, I found the day to be more than just enjoyable, but something I'd like to do again! I realized that once you fall down, shake the snow out of your gloves, and find your balance again, everything could only get better. I may not be a full-time ski-bum, but I think I've gained a newfound appreciation for a day on the snowy slopes. 

Thank you so much to the team at Stratton Mountain Resort for a wonderful day of skiing! I am honored to be able to share experiences that I truly enjoy here on the blog with my readers. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS